Sustainable Innovation and Energy Engineering
Mexico is currently entering a phase of energy transition while it is also migrating toward a low-carbon economy, with some major challenges to urban development and the production sectors. Therefore, it is essential to create a new profile that can break paradigms in order to propose, assess, and generate schemes and strategies for sustainable development and the energy future.
The most brilliant, forward-looking, and creative IISE students have the opportunity of being part of the Roberto Garza Sada Center (CRGS), a space for ideas and expressions that brings together and develops the best creative talent in Latin America, with IISE working on opportunities and challenges to create a humanely intelligent community.
Photo by: UDEM archive
Aim of Degree Program
To educate and train enterprising professionals who are socially responsible and mindful of the use of energy and resources, capable of generating and making decisions concerning the design, assessment, and management of sustainability and energy projects.
Students will be trained as agents of change that contribute to the well-being and quality of life of people and the environment, with a high sense of innovation and a strategic view, capable of generating interdisciplinary proposals and solutions to meet the needs of current markets as regards energy and environment prospects.
Candidates to enter the IISE program are greatly analytical and observant. They distinguish themselves for being ethical, highly proactive individuals. They are interested in the problems and opportunities present in social and environmental projects. They have high capacity for synthesis and to assess alternatives for decision-making and the execution of projects.
Photo by: UDEM archive
An UDEM Sustainable Innovation and Energy Engineer will be able to:
- Develop challenging ideas and projects with a high level of entrepreneurial initiative, social responsibility, and awareness of the correct use of energy and resources.
- Develop and apply a high sense of innovation and strategic vision.
- Create interdisciplinary proposals and solutions for the present-day market, as well as for the future of energy and the environment.
- Communicate their ideas and concepts by presenting projects with technical foundations, economic feasibility, and social and environmental impact.
- Use technology for the modeling, prototyping, and development of technology for energy and sustainability.
Photo by: UDEM archive
Field of Work
Graduates from the bachelor’s degree program in Sustainable Innovation and Energy Engineering (IISE) will be able to work in cutting-edge national and international companies, as a creator of sustainability strategies from the sphere of corporate social responsibility, in projects concerning environmental impact reduction, resource efficiency, and state-of-the-art technology and energy.
They can also work in public and private institutions to manage projects involving sustainability, the reduction of emissions, and the environmental and energy efficiency of organizations, products, and services.
And in centers for sustainable research and consultancy, in product, process, and service analysis and diagnosis, GEI calculations and sustainability indicators. As enterprisers and technology developers.
An IISE graduate can work as a(n):
- Innovation and development director
- Enterpriser and director of sustainable projects
- Sustainability director
- Strategist and consultant for the application of new technologies
- Environment and social responsibility consultant
- Enterpriser and developer of new technologies for energy and sustainability
- Expert consultant in alternative energies and energy efficiency projects
- Sustainability director at public and government agencies
- Promoter and coordinator of social and environmental projects
- Environment, safety, and health director
- Researcher of new technologies
- Consultant in the design and optimization of energy applications and consumptions
- Auditor of environmental impacts and strategies
- Consultant in energy and environment regulations and management systems
- Strategist for sustainable projects and energy projects
- Researcher / teacher / academician
- Promoter of projects and initiatives of civil associations and non-governmental organizations
- Researcher, developer, inventor, and teacher.
Photo by: UDEM Archive
Find out more about the Design and Innovation projects in DINNjournal (Digital Journal), the Journal of the IISE (Bachelor’s degree in Sustainable Innovation and Energy Engineering) and LDI (Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design) programs.
Academic Program Director
Irma Peñúñuri García
CRGS, office 310.10
+52 (81) 8215-1000 ext.1453